Thursday, February 28, 2008

Touched up "Rush Week"

Rush week is by far the most intense and stressful week at SMU so far. That sounds so wrong because just a month ago we had finals and it’s sad to say but rush week was more stressful then finals! Everyday we had to wake up at a certain time wear certain outfit and talk to people that we had no interest in talking too. Girls went all out with extravagant hairstyles, tons of makeup, and gorgeous dresses. I feel that the school puts too much pressure on girls to join sororities. Basically if you are not apart of a sorority then your social life goes down the drain. What about all the people who don’t get in to a sorority? THEY TRANSFER… How absurd is that? People use to joke that the “moving trucks” line the street the day after bid day! I definitely thought they were exaggerating.. But it was true one of my best friends even transferred. This whole process was straight out of a movie, so surreal. The week before rush I watched the movie Sydney White with some of my friends back home. I laughed to almost every part because it seemed so absurd that girls would go to those limits just to join a sorority. But after going through this entire process the movie was almost exactly like the rush week at SMU. I just feel that the school puts way too much pressure on us to join sororities. I mean don’t get me wrong there are some perks but over all it’s a judgment day and whether you admit it or not if you don’t make the stupid sorority you want you confidence is shot! Most of my best friends first semester (which are all in different sororities) I go for weeks with out talking to them. So instead of creating a sisterhood it in fact breaks some friendships up.

No comments: