Monday, January 28, 2008

Rush Week

Rush week is by far the most intense and stressful week at SMU so far. That sounds so wrong because just a month ago we had finals and it’s sad to say but rush week was more stressful then finals! Everyday we have we had to wake up a certain time wear a certain outfit and talked to people that we had no interest in talking to. Girls went all out with extravagant hairstyles, tons of makeup, and gorgeous dresses. I feel that the school puts too much pressure on girls to join sororities. Basically if you are not apart of a sorority then your social life goes down the drain. What about all the people who don’t get in to a sorority? THEY TRANSFER… How absurd is that I thought it was just a joke before that the “moving trucks” line the street the day after bid day! But it was true one of my best friends even transferred. This whole process was straight out of a movie, So surreal. Being in a sorority is like a sister hood so I can understand the perks. You bond with your pledge class meet new people and it’s a great way to socialize but for those that are “GDI” meaning god dam independent I feel bad for because it excludes them from so many events.

4 comments:

hey girl hey said...

I agree. Rush week was crazy! I went through it to the last day and dropped out. I was super upset at first and I thought i would not fit in anymore but with the help and support of all my great friends it has not been that bad at all! Some nights are awkward but other nights are so fun! I hope to rush next year again because it is wat you call a sisterhood. Which sounds fun. Anyways the girl that transfered is so lame! i cant believe she transfered! Its the dumbest thing i have heard of. You cannot let a stupid soroity make you leave a beautiful school. Transfering never even crossed my mind.

sorority girl said...

It's weird but I know a bunch of people who transferred after first semester because of the strong Greek presence on campus/Rush. It's a big part of SMU, but I can't believe that people would leave because of it.

Alexis said...

I have to take a stand for all of us "GDIs" as you call us. No doubt, SMU has one of the the most demanding Greek systems I have ever seen. And yes, there are crazy people who cry over it and leave when they don't get their top choice, but I don't think it would be such a harsh experience for so many if everyone didn't build it up as such. Thanks for your pity and for feeling bad about us non-Greeks being outcast at so many social events, but no thanks. I have friends who are in sororities and so far all I have heard is complaining about all the crap they make you do, stuff they make you attend, what to wear, where to go, how long to stay, who to hang out with...etc. Kind of sounds as though I should be the one feeling bad for all of you. I understand it's a sisterhood and life will probably be much better once you are active members, but there are tons of other groups, organizations, and stuff in general to do at SMU. I have never oce felt awkward about not being in a sorority, the thought of rushing crossed my mind for all of about 2 days before I realized it was absolutely not for me. Just realize that SMU is only all about the Greek system to those who are in it, the rest of us have lives too.

sunshyne8701 said...

I have to take a stand with wanderer and 100% agree. You talk about all the stress from rush and all the mandatory events you must attend, why are you feeling bad for us "GDI"s? Wanderer makes good points about the social scene. One of my best friends here is in the Greek system, and her life is sucked up by it. Don't get me wrong sororites are good things for sisterhood an dbulding relationships, but no sorrow is necessary. We made the decision to be independent... and we stand to it. And as long as you are a girl here at SMU, the social scene is not that awkward. The fact that your friend turned to transferring as an answer sucks, but hang in there.